Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Friday, 17 Jan 2014: Bowling

It was already dark outside and I walked briskly to the bowling alley. My classmates from Ftac organized a gathering to celebrate the end of our week of briefing we had to go to for the past few days (which was extremely painful...death by power point). I got there at 0700 sharp and others trickled in throughout the night. At first I watched people bowl because I am not great at it. Eventually, i was peer pressured to join and gave in. I am ambidextrous, therefore deciding which hand to use was tricky. The left hand gave me more points. My bowling shoes slid beneath me on the smooth wood floors as I briskly walked up to the bowling lane and swung my heavy bowling ball out in front of me. My eyes followed the bright green ball as it pelted the pins at the end of the lane. A sharp crack reached my hears at impact. I stand there for the few seconds to see if I actually hit the pins before I walked back to my seat to watch the others. Bowling is not my kind of sport because it hurts my fingers to try and grasp the heavy bowling ball and aim for the pins far down the aisle on a slippery floor. If it was my choice, I would be at Zumba, playing soccer, skiing, or running cross-country (the sports I prefer). During all this sitting down and getting up, a guy named Sydney conversed with me. He was asking my advice about a guy named Cooperman he liked among the group. I didn’t know whether or not Cooperman was gay, all the same I was determined to help Sydney find out. I asked Cooperman subtly if he left anyone back at home. This threw us into a conversation about his Alaskan huskie he couldn’t bring with him to Misawa. The airman who live in the dorms are not allowed to have pets (fish and turtles are an exception). Presumably, Cooperman was a single guy and I gave Sydney a wink. The party was winding down and some of us walked over to Estle’s building to hang out in the day room. The heater must have been broken because the air was just as cold as it was outside. A pillow on the couch protected some of my body from the bitter cold; despite my efforts my teeth chattered. Sydney, Cooperman, and I were heading out to go home when, just as we were parting to our different ways, Cooperman turned to Sydney and told him he would catch up in a second. We were left standing there alone and Cooperman asked me if we could hang out sometime because he wanted to get to know me. My stomach sank. Poor Sydney! Stunned I didn’t know what to say. I stayed neutral and said maybe sometime and left. How could I make it better? There was a love triangle forming and I was dragged in. That night I did not sleep well at all....  

No comments:

Post a Comment