Thursday, February 20, 2014

Monday, 20 Jan 2014: The Ocean

A great day was upon us because it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Holidays always begin cheery because it is an excuse for a celebration, especially for those who have made such extravagance contributions to our heritage and evolution as an American country. Per contra I had no plans; it was just a day off for me. 
A friend from the hospital drove me to the beach to take pictures for some project the Air Force tasked him with. The ocean was spread out before us as we stood on the peer. 
I’m glad it only took about 15-20 minutes to get there because with this stunning view I was for sure going to come back to re-visit the site on warmer days. Waves hurled themselves against the rocky edges of the pier and sprayed their foam and droplets in disarray as they roared in a rhythmic pattern. Deeper and darker pigments of blue areas covered the expanse of the deceivingly flat ocean off in the hazy distance whereas the lighter tones surrounded us. The wind was stabbing cold slashes against my face and tug at my hair and clothes. Sometimes, as we walked along the shore, strong odors of fish stung my nose. Despite the occasional seagull there was no creature or being in sight besides ourselves on the lonely bay. If it wasn’t for the piercing cold I could lollygag there all day and be content. As I store out across the ocean I become lost in its magnificence and lore. Every time I see it I am reminded of how powerful, almighty, and wondrous the Lord my God is. How can any earthly being create such a wonder? If it was up to me, the 8th wonder of the world would be the ocean...no one has yet unlocked its secrets at its deepest depths. In reality the ocean is also somewhat of a fear to me, or perhaps a weariness I have toward this entity that covers the majority of our earth. One must respect the ocean for its power and mystery. In the presence of a mass such as this heightens my awareness of my puny exitance and nonsignificance....All these thoughts swirled in my head during our excursion, even while we walked off. 
A sign we passed by showed an illustration of a boy drowning and had english and Japanese translations on it. To my delight the word dangerous was spelled wrong. Whoever wrote this didn’t heed enough attention to what they wanted to say, all the same it still got its point across (be careful in the water). In the evening I met up with a group of 5 people including myself at the Mokuteki Cafe. Fun fact: my friend explained to me that Mokuteki mean purpose; end; a goal; or an aim. Off in the corner we studied some Japanese grammar for about an hour or two. A1C Lord (that is his actual last name) lead the group in discussion because of his advanced knowledge of Japanese. It took him about 2 years to become somewhat fluent. Everyone was at a higher level of Japanese than I, be that as it may, it inspired me to do even better

No comments:

Post a Comment