Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sunday, 12 January 2014: Hot Spicy Curry!

Jake, Chevren, and I went on an antique shopping adventure. The shop was hidden in a corner next to a row of restaurants and bars right outside the main gate. The owner lived upstairs in his home, white the shop extended all throughout the main floor. Most of the items were old objects and papers. We had no luck finding something of interest, so we moved on and searched for other places. When we went on the Cultural tour through Ready Start a few days ago the tour guide mentioned another antique shop in town. Jake was driving around trying to find it without success. I made us stop at a rest stop that looked like a gas station without the gas. At the counter stood a young man who was Japanese. I walked up to him and tried asking if he knew where the antique shop was (I used my translator on my phone). It was obvious that we were not understanding each other, so he took out his map and showed us a route. Back on the road we followed the directions the Japanese man showed us which led us to a thrift shop for electronics (close enough). Inside we found T.V.s refrigerators, tables, lamps, and random junk. On the shelf an electric piano caught my eye. By using my body language I was able to ask the cashier to let me try it out. With each stroke of the keys I fell more and more in love with the instrument and knew I had to get it. My grandmother Westerham was a piano teacher and gave me lessons since I was a little girl. The piano was only 58 yen. The yen held more value compared to the dollar by 8 cents, but that would only mean a few bucks more than 58. It was still a good deal in my mind to buy a piano. Next, we went to Hachinohe to go thrift shopping. Jake’s friends brought us there before, therefore we didn’t get lost. Next door to the shop was an arcade which we checked out as well. 
Their video games were very intricate and advanced compared to the mediocre ones back in America I was used to. In fact, the only arcades I remember from home were the simple games at the movie theaters and in hotels. One game had a display table where you would place game cards on it and the screen in front of you would sense them and allow you to use the characters and elements on the cards. The video game had the “world of war craft” feel to it (I don’t know any other way to describe it!). If you ever have seen Yu-Gi-oh, then you could get a better picture. Another simulator en-golfed the gamer in a virtual reality setting. My favorite game to watch was one that had real drums you would beat on with these two sticks. This game reminded me of a cross between guitar (Japanese style). They even had a dance revolution game except for your hands instead of your feet. A circle of buttons would light up and you had to hit them in rhythm of the song. The gamers were really into them and seemed super focused. Down the road from the arcade was a Japanese Curry restaurant called Coco’s. My friends and I had eaten there before and went again (familiarity breeds habit). My friends really liked spicy food such that they got the level 6 spicy curry (the intensity of how spicy the curry can be ranges from 1 to 10). Chevren couldn’t handle it and pushed the dish aside for Jake and I to finish. It was a terrible idea for me to even consider eating a bite of the spicy food because I was stuck in the bathroom for a long time afterward. My stomach didn’t agree with the intensity of the spices. Driving home was a pain for everyone. Jake had to make pit stops at different Lawsons (gas stations without the gas) for me to expel the spicy curry I consumed. Getting lost also was a cause of our long journey home. The area was so foreign to me and the map so confusing that I kept leading us on small one way dirt roads (one even took us through a field). If I was a GPS I’m sure my friends would be cussing me out. Thankfully we found our way back to Misawa. I convinced Jake to stop at the Universe grocery store (biggest grocery store in town). In the bakery section there were pastries on display with an egg and pieces of bacon on it. With some spur of the moment shopping I had my hands full (including the egg pastry for tomorrows breakfast). My friends had to help me carry my groceries in to my building. All the dorms looked the same besides the huge numbers listed on the side. The way I remember mine is that it is near the Misawa Inn and has the number 661 in large black bold font on the side. Jake and I messed with the rubix cube for a while after I put away my groceries. Eventually I kicked them out and went to bed 

No comments:

Post a Comment