Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thursday, 23 Jan 2014: Fire

Today was a day off from my usual 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. days. Panama shift workers get more days off to compensate for the 12 hour cycle we are on. This type of schedule does not bother me, actually, I enjoy it! Everyone who lives in the dorms on base (usually those who are E-4 and below and not married) have to be on a “meal card” -military account that allows their members to eat at the defac without seeing the money; it’s automatically taken out of the paycheck. As for the 12 hour shift workers, we cannot leave the hospital to eat breakfast or lunch (and dinner for the night shift workers) exempting us from having that money taken out. We can use the money given to us to pay for any food we desire. Since the whole day was all to myself I took the time to walk around and explore Misawa. Many little boutique shops and small restaurants lined the narrow streets. They all had something interesting to offer. A mini-mall called Skype Plaza had an international grocery store in it with food from all over the world. Products I’ve never heard of caught my eye and they were all so foreign to me. Across the hall was a bakery where I bought some type of fluffy bread with egg and meat inside (hmmm delicious!). One piece of food in particular was really bizarre. A hot dog bun had brown noodles stuffed in it. Unfortunately, I didn’t buy it but maybe next time I would try the hot dog noodle food. I hit the road again and I was trogging down an alley when I was abruptly cut off by black tape closing off the area. A small fire truck, police cars, and people were all gathered around a pile of black rubble that used to be a building. Apparently a fire had devastated the area. What I saw told gist of what happened...hopefully no one got hurt. Hurriedly, I looked over to the Cheese Roll restaurant and let out a sigh of relief. Someday i wanted to go to to that place because people have good recommendations about it. Going to that little restaurant was on my bucket list and knowing it was still intact and untouched by the fire was relieving. A sadness still overcame me for the loss for the owners of the demolished building. Without much for me to do I left and walked back home. I had enough adventure for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment