Thursday, February 20, 2014

Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014: Getting Lost

Ever since I’ve arrived in Misawa I have been going out to eat pretty much non stop. One reason being is, is that most of my friends are new to the area such as myself and we want to explore. Another reason being is that I love to go out and do something (sitting around is boring for me). My friends and I all got packed in the car and drove to a small mama and papa restaurant called Cheese Rolls. Many people have recommended it and I was ready to eat their famous food! Misawa has many alleys and small roads between buildings presenting a situation where we were sure to get lost and we did. None of us even knew the exact location! On top of that it was snowing like crazy. Misawa is a winter wonder land due to the loads of snow it gets. Anyway, we always get lost due to some obstacle.... A half an hour into our search we finally came across it! Although, we couldn’t find parking in the small alley street. Another 10 minutes later we walked up to the door to see the owner closing it for the night. Coincidence decided to alter our plans. We hopped back in the car and drove to a ramen place referenced as Orange Top Ramen not too far down the road. We were seated on the floor which was raised a few inches higher than the floor that had regular chairs and tables on it. Cushions became our support as we sat at the table which barely rose above our crossed legs. Jake, being well over 6 foot, had to stretch his legs under the table into Chevrens personal space since he just couldn’t find a comfortable position with all the x-small sized furniture. 
We all ordered ramen that were served in huge bowls. My meal came with a slice of meat, noodles, soybean sprouts, soy sauce broth, and half an orange yolked (back in the states the yolk is more of a yellow shade) egg that was semi boiled.
 A strange device was sitting on our table and we were trying to figure out what it was. The directions and information on it was all in Japanese hence we just put a 100 yen coin in it to see what would happen. A small ball came out and inside was a fortune (it was like a fortune cookie without the cookie). I couldn’t tell you what it said because it was in Japanese. The waitress gave us really small cups for water, which I quickly drained within 5 seconds. I asked the waitress “Misu wo motto kudasai” -more water please. She gave me a weird look and I repeated what I asked before. This made me doubt what I was saying so I repeated it once again, then became concerned that I was saying the wrong thing. Without another hesitation I pulled out my phone searching for the correct phrase. All the while my buddy turned to her and said “more water.” The waitress understood and walked away. Feeling a little disappointed I put the phone away. Restaurants near base have workers that can understand english, yet I wanted to practice my Japanese....Toward the end of our visit everyone started to become amused and we all told jokes and laughed until our stomachs ached. Thereafter we went to the Universe grocery store so I could buy candy (Japanese candy is strange, yet appetizing). I have somewhat of a sweet tooth. Back at home I skyped with friends. It can be difficult to skype with people back home due to the 15 hour difference. Living during the opposite portion of the day forces me to talk with people back home at certain times to make up for the crazy schedules we all have. Either I must skype in the morning which would be night back in Wisconsin or I skype at night which would be early morning back home...There is no winning! In the end I managed to get in touch with the ones I love because if there is a will there is a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment