Friday, March 28, 2014

Saturday 29th March 2014: Fasting/Lent

           Today I just failed…I was supposed to stay disciplined during the fast but I let myself  be taken over by my desires and wants….It seems that in the moment I reacted rashly and hastily to prevent myself from using my head. I need to think before I act instead of letting myself be driven by simple pleasures and greed. The bacon, eggs, and hash browns tempted me and I ate it. In the moment it tasted so good, yet afterwards I felt awful. It didn’t even satisfy me. Instead I felt disappointed because doing this fast is for God and I failed him today.
            The whole point of the fast is spiritual discipline. I am not abstaining from food completely compared to other fasts. Rather my church created a healthy menu that reflects natural and simple foods to replace meals and snacks that are considered a temptation or gluttony. My goal is to rely on God’s power and strength over my own to help me through this trial. Simple pleasures that are temporary are to be substituted with bible reading, praying, and journaling. The fast may restore my “first love” for the Lord and not for worldly things. Constantly I need to reminder to think before I sin/act. It is in human nature to sin, however, we as people are able to prevent being victims of sin through will power and self-control.
            Below is another reminder to myself of what is good and bad to eat. The menu is to make me healthier, happier, and closer to God.
Foods to eat:
v Whole grains: brown rice, oats, barely
v Legumes: Dried Beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas
v Fruits: Apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew, melon, kiwi, dragon fruit, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelons, ect.
v Vegetables: Artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussells, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, giner root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini.
Seeds, nuts, sprouts
v Liquids: Water, unsweetened soy milk, herbal (caffeine free) tea, natural fruit juice (no added sugar), honey.
Foods to avoid:
v Meat, poultry, fish
v White rice
v White flour
v Fried foods
v Caffeine, coffee, tea
v Carbonated beverages
v Foods containing preservatives or additives
v Refined sugar or sugar substitute
v Margarine, shortening, high fat products
v Bread
v Dairy (milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, ect.)

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedth from the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment